Some of the worst examples of sugar are;
- White refined sugar - that comes in packets and you stir into your tea or cake mixtures
- Fruit juices - these are basically just sugared water with very little vitamin or mineral content
- Bad carbs - white bread and pasta, cereals and cereal bars
- Alcohol - basically all sugar
- Cakes, sweets, biscuits, ice cream - need I say more?
- Low fat foods - products such as diet yoghurts, breakfast cereals, muffins and energy drinks are all packed with sugar. Low fat does not mean healthy.
- Any ingredient ending in 'ose - sugar is often hidden in words such as these. Always read the labels.
Sugar comes in many different forms so when reading food labels look out for the following types. Each one is just sugar by a different name and many packaged products can contain more than one type.
high fructose corn syrup, white sugar, brown sugar, cane sugar, sucrose, dextrose, fructose, sucanet, turbinado sugar, beet sugar, maltose, sorbitol, mannitol, erythitol, aspartame, saccharin, Nutrisweet, Splenda, cyclamate, sucralose, Acelsulfame-K.
As a general rule. avoid anything that lists sugar, in any of its guises, in its first three ingredients!